Review of Backwoods Beatdown
Backwoods Beatdown October 20, 2012 @ KO Fitness/ Animal House MMA
Blood, sweat and tears are the only three words that come to mind when I think of the spectacular show that I got to watch tonight. Enoch Wilson and his team of mass destructors of Animal House MMA had a spectacular night with 11 of their 14 fights being wins.
I personally am not one for reviews, but it would be absolutely criminal not to do one on such an outstanding event. I have never been to a more well executed and equally matched show. Of the 21 fights including 2 exhibitions and 1 grappling match, 14 fights were won by a variation of decisions.
Some standout matches were the honored Fight of the Night matchup of Ricky Simon (GladiatorMMA) and Chad Mertens (Midtown). That was a blow for blow, race to the finish line ending in a decision. Hadi Al-awadh (Team Chaos) was what seemed to be unbeatable in his fight until finally going down for a TKO by way of strikes. His fight with Hiroyaki Tetsuka (Team Quest) left the crowd in shock, wonder, and absolute chaos. Tetsuka hit him in what looked like an absolute knockout, and after falling flat on his back Al-awadh bounced back to continue into the second round until finally the stars he was seeing became the only thing he saw. This was a battle for Al-awadh and the crowd went crazy over his comeback after it looked like he was done. It looked to be a battle of the corners in the matchup of Luis Lopez (AHMMA) and Cody Plagmann (Independent). Between the cornermen you couldn’t hear anything but punches and kicks. Lopez came out with the win via Split Decision in an all-out battle.
This was the first kickboxing/boxing only event that I have ever been to. I found that I really enjoyed boxing and kickboxing and that the protective gear really doesn’t affect the game very much. I assumed that there would be a lot less blood and ‘action’ because of so much protective gear, but I have never been more wrong. This was the most action packed, fast paced, exciting events that I have ever been to. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend a Saturday night.
One thing that immediately caught my attention was the amount of sportsmanship that was shown by every single athlete in the building. Each fighter bowed their head in respects before their fight, and was sure to congratulate and shake hands with their opponent. I’ve never seen a more dedicated and caring environment at an event then I did tonight. It was extremely impressive.
The next show for KO Fitness/ Animal House MMA is on December 8th and it’s one you won’t want to miss. With rumors of rematches flying around and wars being set up, it will be an event that leaves you pumped up, and wanting to get into the ring – well, maybe just up close, rather than inside.
RESULTS FROM BACKWOODS BEATDOWN
Exhibition #1: Mehei Egoroff over Adam Buffard via TKO (Strikes)
1. Steven Southern over Ryan Payne via TKO (Strikes)
2. Todd Bowlsby over Dennis Stacey via Unanimous Decision
3. Eddie Ynez over Anthony Simera via injury. (Broke his thumb in rd. 1)
4. Enrique (Henry) Rios over Billy Beswick via Unanimous Decision
5. Anthony Reutov over Jansen Bento via Split Decision
6. Randy Clawson over Jack Lumsden via Split Decision
7. Sergio Rios over Jon Roberson via KO
8. Luis Lopez over Cody Plagmann via Split Decision
9. Alexandro Ochoa over Jordan Brazda via Unanimous Decision
10. Chance Stamps vs. Ryan Payne FIGHT CANCELLED.
11. John Gonzalez over Manuel Gonzalez via Unanimous Decision (Brothers)
Grappling Match: James Williams over David Tijerina
12. Jose Rodriguez over Jake Smith via Unanimous Decision
13. Dallas Elkins over Junior Rodriguez via Sudden Death Round
14. Kyra Batara over Yvonne Brost via Unanimous Decision
15. David Alonzo over Adam King via TKO (Strikes)
Exhibition #2: Hiroyaki Tetsuka over Hadi Al-awadh via KO/TKO. (YOU WOULDN’T BELIEVE THIS FIGHT. It was a total KO, but he got back up 9 seconds later and ended the match with a TKO due to strikes. I’d call it a KO!!)
16. Brian Sanchez over Jess Moore via TKO (Strikes)
17. Kirsten Allen over Saysha Brown via Unanimous Decision
18. Ricky Simon over Chad Mertens via Sudden Death Round Decision
19. Anthony Mcdonald over Jake Richmond via Unanimous Decision
20. Clint Patterson over Justin Ellis via Ellis said no more. (quit)
21. John Simone over Ryan Wood via Unanimous Decision